Cortal SQR Medical Media Forum
Debunking Myths, Correcting Misconceptions with Cortal SQR
This is a sponsored post.
Cortal SQR hosted a medical forum to discuss the misconception of pain management and women-related health concerns entitled: “Debunking Myths, Correcting Misconceptions” held at Bistro Marinero last 28th of July 2011. With Guest Medical Experts: Dr. Rey Salinel & Dr. Susan Peleo-Nagtalon.
Surely our elders would have known a number of facts about this brand Cortal, it has been quiet famous and created a buzz decades ago. Market-wise, Cortal became a household name for aspirin as Colgate to a toothpaste, Frigidaire to refrigerators, Thermos to a teapot, Ajax to a detergent bar and so on. Cortal was a pain reliever long time ago and still widely-available in the market contrary to the phase-out beliefs of many. But now Cortal has metamorphosis into Ibuprofen [200mg/tablet] + Paracetamol [325mg/tablet] = Cortal SQR [Safe Quick Release]. Making the pain relieving drug take in effect as fast as 15 minutes. It goes with Cortal SQR’s slogan ASAP – Alis Sakit Alis Pain
Dr. Salinel’s keynote on pain management covers the effect of synergism between Ibuprofen & Paracetamol, how these 2 components work & affect the pain management. “Ibuprofen & Paracetamol, both are analgesic, antipyretic & anti-inflammatory agents which in its synergism enhances their effects with each other. With their dual action against pain, it is able to provide relief for mild to moderate aches & pains from common fever, headache, backache, typical sports sprains & injuries to minor surgical procedures like tooth extraction.” Ibuprofen & Paracetamol share the same adverse effects as other non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs [NSAIDs], but as of date no serious adverse effects have been reported.
Characteristics of Inflammation:
- Calor = Heat
- Rubor = Redness
- Tumor = Swelling
- Dolor = Pain
- Functiolesa = Less function
Dr. Salinel recommend taking it with a full stomach as to avoid enzyme effect or any stomach problem.
Dosage: For Adults = 1 tab for every 6 hours on full stomach
Not to exceed: [per day]
1,200mg for Ibuprofen
2,000mg for Paracetamol [alcoholic]
4,000mg for Paracetamol [non-alcoholic]
Follow the proper dosage to avoid liver injury. The limitations of taking this drug are:
- Take with caution for those with: (a) peptic ulcer disease, (b) liver & kidney impairment, and (c) heart failure & hypertension.
- With allergy in any form of components [Ibuprofen & Paracetamol]
- Pregnant or lactating women
Women-related Health Concerns
Dr. Nagtalon discussed female-related pain issues. “Women experience specific types of bodily pain associated with dysmenorrhea & PMS [pre-menstrual syndrome], cystitis, urinary tract stones, musculoskeletal pain & post delivery pains. In take of NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen & Paracetamol provides safe & quick relief from pain.”
The most common women health concerns:
- Menstrual cycle symptoms: dysmenorrhea, PMS, midcycle pain, mastalgia [breast discomfort /swelling],perimenopause migraine
- Pelvic endometriosis [infertility, heavy menstrual period]
- Reproductive tract infection [PID]
- Postpartum & post surgery pain
- Musculoskeletal discomforts in the perimenopause & menopause.
According to Dr. Nagtalon, survey shows that Asian women is not bothered with hot flashes [perimenopause] compared to Caucasian women. Filipino women appears to be a little skeptic and shy when to approach a medical doctor to discussed her health condition. Some women, mostly the average and poor level society needs to be guided for them to be properly aware of the symptoms and reliefs of their pain. Other
The pain experience threatens the quality of life across the continuum, thus includes the reproductive, parturition, postpartum & peri & post-menopause. Prompt relief reduces impairment & allow continued productivity.
The Q&A part between the panelists and media/new media tackles several issues such as:
- How true that the old Cortal is being used as abortifacient drug? Medically explained by Dr. Salinel: Cortal aspirin 500mg is a prescription drug. Aspirin is used for the treatment of fever & pain associated with common colds, minor aches & pains, headache, prevention of heart attacks & strokes, coronary & carotid arteries, bypasses & stents. Aspirin can be used long-term at low doses to help prevent heart attacks, stroke and blood clot formation in people at high risk for developing blood clots mostly occurred in pregnant women and non-stop bleeding can be fatal. Therefore it was not designed for abortion, over dosage of Cortal, the side effects could be bleeding. As for Dr. Nagtalon’s explanation [gynecologically], medicine is practically made to heal, maintain & restore health, prevention & treatment of illness. End-users make way to come up with any form of idea. Aspirin when use the right way is beneficial, doctors even prescribed Cortal or of the same type for pregnant women who experience blood clot, again on low dose. Also for heart patient to achieve a good heart circulation. “All drugs can be abortifacient”. Effects of medicine differs from one person to another.
- How is Cortal SQR different from other pain relievers? Faster tablet means speed solution. Cortal SQR dissolves within 40 to 60 seconds in warm body. Relieves pain as fast as 15 minutes.
- Fact or myth, would you recommend Coke soda in alleviating pain in dysmenorrhea? Coke can worsen the pain during dysmenorrhea because it mixes with Ibuprofen & Paracetamol as additives.
Pharma-Rex Inc., the local distributor of the all-new Cortal SQR, believes that as a pharmaceutical company, it has the responsibility to educate the public about health & other medical related matters. So that any time of the day, whether at work or at home, as soon as pain strikes, they will be ready to get relief from any musculoskeletal pain such as muscle strains, back strains, fever & dysmenorrhea in as fast as 15 minutes.
Cortal SQR was acquired from GlaxoSmithKline Philippines, Inc. by Pharma-Rex, Inc., a pharmaceutical company that aims to provide affordable quality medicines to Filipinos. Pharma-Rex Inc. was incorporated on March 25, 2010 with the primary purpose of importing, manufacturing, wholesaling and trading of ethical and OTC pharmaceutical products. The company will expand its product offerings to include the more essential medicine requirements of the masses, whilst creating strategic partnerships with other institutions to build brands that deliver superior value to consumers and patients.
Dr. Reynaldo L. Salinel Jr., FPAFP [Infectious Disease Specialist & Diabetes Specialist] – currently a diplomate & fellow of the Philippine Academy of Family Physicians and finished fellowship training in Infectious Diseases & Diabetes. He is an active medical consultant for the Department of Family Medicine of Manila Doctors Hospital & Ospital ng Maynila. He also serves as a resource doctor for Salamat Dok, a medical TV/radio show aired in ABS-CBN & in DZMM Teleradyo & GMA’s DZBB.
Dr. Susan Peleo-Nagtalon, MD – [Obstetrical & Gynecologist Specialist] – She is currently an Associate Professor at UERMMC College of Medicine & has contributed in various textbooks & CPG’s. An active consultant for St. Luke’s Medical Center’s Obstetrics -Gynecology department and is an active fellow for the Philippines Society of Maternal-Fetal Medicine as well as for the Philippine Obstetrical & Gynecological Society [POGS] in which she was a former President.
DeiVille.com, created by Green Dei (Daryll Villena)
Write us at deiville.com(at)gmail(dot)com for tips on digital branding, entrepreneurship, consumerism, parenting, health talk, women talk, Pinoy travels and Manila lifestyle.
I’d love to know what you think about this post. Feel free to leave your comment.
I do reply to each of your messages or questions so please come back if you’ve left one.
Disclosure: DeiVille receives products in order to conduct reviews. No monetary compensation was provided unless noted otherwise. All opinions are 100% my own. Some posts may contain web links in exchange for payment. In the event of a giveaway, the sponsor is responsible for delivery of the prize, unless otherwise noted in the posting. I only recommend, discuss, or introduce products/services/businesses I personally use and believe will be a good fit for my readers.